This chapter contains two downloadable products, the details of which can be found below.
This product contains:
- Process for writing a safety plan
- Blank template
- Compliance statement showing how completing the process ensures that ISO 26262:2011 2-6.5.1 is complied with
The objective of the Safety Case is to provide a compelling argument, supported, by evidence, that:
- ISO 26262 has been complied with
- That an adequate level of functional safety is achieved, and
- Adequate functional safety will be maintained during the remainder of the safety life-cycle.
This is used to support the business decision to put the item into production.
The guidance given in this work product details how to build the safety case, starting at the beginning of the project when the safety plan is available. It provides guidance on how to provide an argument framework, using Goal Structured Notation (GSN), that your organisation will populate as the safety life-cycle progresses and as evidence becomes available.
The guidance is built on the direction taken in the second edition of ISO 26262.
Included is an example GSN safety case argument, and guidance on how to provide the evidence to validate the argument.